Cleaning and Deodorizing with Lavender
Lavender is well known for its antibacterial properties, so during this cold and flu season, it is the perfect addition to your cleaning regine -- disinfecting and dispelling the winter blahs by transporting you back to sunny summer days. Here are a few ways to use lavender as a cleaner and deodorizer:
All Purpose Deodorizer
(From The Lavender Lover’s Handbook by Sarah Berringer Bader)
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon borax
- Distilled or purified water
- ¼ c liquid castile soap
- 10 drops lavender eo
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil or 1 tsp lemon juice
- Mix the white vinegar and borax together in a 16 ounce spray bottle. Fill the bottle ¾ full with hot purified or distilled water. Shake well until the borax is dissolved.
- Add the liquid castile soap and the essential oils (or the lavender oil and lemon juice) to the solution and shake well. Use as you would any other all-purpose cleaner
Area rugs and carpets are breeding grounds for odors and bacteria, so here is an idea for fresh and clean carpets without the expense:
- 8 drops of lavender oil
- ½-cup baking soda.
- Large mason jar
Lavender in the dryer
Option 1: Lavender dryer sachets. Store bought dryer sheets can contain some nasty chemicals, so why not try something that smells just as nice (or better!) without the chemicals and for a fraction of the cost!
Just fill a small muslin bag with lavender buds and throw it in the dryer. Just make sure to double or triple tie the bag shut so that it doesn't spill out (that happened to me...yes it makes a mess, but smells lovely),
Option 2: Lavender EO on dryer balls: Another great option is to place a few drops of lavender essential oil onto a reusable wool dryer ball.
Option 1: Lavender essential oil in a diffuser not only makes your room smell great, but it is very relaxing as well!
Option 2: Hydrosol spray has such a lovely floral scent and is great as a room freshener or linen spray. Be sure to use real hydrosol -- not flower water. Hydrosol is the byproduct of the distillation process so it contains many of the smae great properties as lavender and is clean and pure. No additives, no toxins, nada.